In recent weeks there's been a lot of alarmist local press about the Brazilian economy stagnating. From my limited perspective it seems to be more a case of temporarily slower growth rather than a shrinking economy and certainly a much more manageable problem than the ones in left behind in Europe.
The 2012 AFIRE Annual Foreign Investment Survey has just been released and gives us a view from outside. In essence it is what real estate holders regard as the best places to invest in. In its own words:
"Although the U.S. is still regarded as providing the best opportunity for capital appreciation , its first-place score shrank from 64.7% in last year’s survey to 42.2% this year, with Brazil closing the gap in second place with 18.6% of the votes. Survey respondents hold more than $874 billion of real estate globally, including $338 billion in the U.S"
"Brazil and its largest city, Sao Paulo, have emerged among the global leaders in this year’s survey. Brazil jumps 14.2 percentage points, from fourth place in last year’s survey, to be named the second best country for capital appreciation, pushing China into third position. With the U.S., these countries received approximately 70% of the vote on this question; the remaining 30% was spread across 13 countries on five continents. Sao Paulo rose from 26th place to be named investors’ fourth global city for real estate investment dollars in 2012. "
Here are some of the graphics from this year's survey:
Brazil is second only to the US for capital appreciation opportunities:
Brazil, number one ranked emerging country for real estate acquisitions:
São Paulo is ranked 4th best city for real estate investment: